15/10/2013

Storyboard

In this post I am going to research how many frames there generally should be in a short film and then once I have done this I am going to create the storyboard keeping in mind the number of frames typically shown in shorts.

Storyboards have proved to be a vital part of the research and planning of a film and AS proved this massively. The storyboard gives all members of the production team weather it be director, director of photography or actors it helps guide all the shots as it includes composition, angles, etc. This is a very visual document which can speed up the filming process as it provides you with a frame by frame guide of which shots you need. It also prevents the production crew from forgetting any shots in the sequence which could be vital to the continuity of the media and not following continuity could effect the pace of the film and the flow from one shot to another. An average shot length (ASL) varies but is around 4-8 seconds per frame therefore our film could include anywhere from 37-75 different shots. Our storyboard as it stands includes 60 shots which would give it an ASL of around 5 seconds.

Here is the storyboard I created for our short film 'Love, Fate, Destiny'
Storyboard - Sequence 1


Storyboard - Sequence 2


Now that we have a storyboard we can use it to assist us with the making of the anamatic. As we have the visual of what it will look like, we just need to add sound effects which can be created using Final cut Express and Soundtrack Pro

Now that there is a storyboard giving us more of a visual and insight into what the film will look like I am now going to do some costume research to show what each of our characters are going to be wearing.