07/04/2014

Evaluation Question 3

What have you learnt from your Audience Feedback?

In this evaluation question I am going to be talking about the different forms of feedback which we received for all of our products. Here is a video of me explaining how we did our audience feedback.


Now that you have an idea of how we got our feedback I will now go through the things I mentioned at the end of the video.

First of all I am going to discuss our Target Audience Profile (TAP). Our TAP was created through not only personal thoughts but also from facts and statistics from other films within the same genre, style,etc. Pearl and Deans website was very useful as it helped give us an idea of what age ranges were most likely to watch romance films and from what social background they were from. Once we had got a general idea of the age range we should aim our product towards we then made a decision. Our decision was that females would be more likely to watch our romance. Here is the summary of our typical target audience member.


There is also a entire post on our TAP so if you would like to view that click here

The films which we looked at to help us decide this were feature length films 'Safe Haven' and 'The Vow'. Both of these films proved that romances have a majority of female audience members. Safe Haven's audience stats proved this with 76% being female. Knowing this helped us understand whether audiences would find our short appealing and this would also give our reviewers an idea also of who we are aiming our film at.

So I have already explained how we gathered our audience feedback and all in all I would say it was rather successful. I think the range of different ages and genders gave us lots of different personal opinions to look upon when showing our rough cut/draft of our products. I also believe the success of this was because the feedback we were given wasn't biased as the group were giving us honest critique, whereas if we got our close friends and family to look at our products they may not have criticised and questioned things as much as our peers did. I will now repost both our rough cut which we showed our peers and also the video I created of our peers which were giving us our audience feedback.






From this video you can see how we received our feedback as we gave our reviewers whiteboards to jot things down and recorded it for future reference incase we forgot or didn't pick up on something mentioned the first time round. When re editing we could also look back on this to make sure we had took into account all of our possible improvements.

Once we got our feedback we consider most things which were suggested, especially creating the new narrative as this was an important aspect of the film which needed to be corrected. Having this discussion helped give us multiple new suggestions of other ways of how we can approach this and from the final cut you can see that we opted for a completely new narrative with the voice over. 

Dubbing the lines was one thing suggested which I didn't think of before getting our audience feedback so this helped me realise that the audio wasn't as good as it could be. Therefore we spent a lot of time dubbing all of the actors lines and putting them into the soundtrack. we also along with this made adjustments to the volume of some of the sound effect and the duration. Here is an example of one piece of dialogue being dubbed for the final cut comparing the audio from the rough cut.


Rough cut dialogue & Final cut dialogue

 The audience feedback has made a big difference to our film as the final cut and the rough cut are like two different films as the audiences reactions and suggestions helps you realise what would be more suitable for the audience rather than what we want and how we vision the film so it enables you to see it through an audience members point of view.

If you look at both our rough cut and final cut you will realise that the audience feedback has had a large influence on the final cut as the whole narrative and order of shots has been completely changed, making them look like two separate films. Here are the rough cut and final cut to show this change.

Rough Cut

Final Cut



I am now going discuss the importance of the audience feedback in terms of our ancillary product. As I explained in the video we got our peers to look at our ancillary product and asked if they could use the mark scheme to give each category a level. We then got them to say why they have chosen these levels and how we could improve it to get into the top bands. When getting this feedback we didn't create any footage but I will post the rough cut of our poster and the mark scheme to give an idea of how we were getting our feedback. I will also screenshot the post where I discussed the feedback which we got.




As you can see the feedback, although all minor improvements, helped out with the style of the poster but also got us to look further into conventions, especially with the star ratings as I looked back at other posters to ensure that it is a general convention on multiple posters. All in all the feedback we received was edited into the poster and here is the final draft for our short film poster.


I am also going to do the exact same thing now with our magazine review now showing the rough cut, feedback and final cut. We had generally good feedback from our rough cut so there were only small improvements. The rough cut had laurel ipsum just to give our audience an idea of the layout of text when the article is written.





We could have opted for different styles of audience feedback with only people who fit perfectly into our TAP but this may not be the best idea as although they are our target audience they would all have generally similar opinions on the film so wouldn't suggest anything different or new, therefore having a mix of genders and age ranges enabled us to have multiple opinions and also we could see weather they actually enjoyed the film or not along with our target audience.

In conclusion audience feedback plays an important part in this process as it can help you strengthen and improve a project which you may have thought beforehand was finished and completed. You are then able to add their suggestions if necessary and attempt to make your product as good as it can be.

I am now going to be answering the final evaluation question which is all about the different technologies I have used for each stage of the process from the research stages to the evaluation questions.