How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?
To help me answer this question I have created a directors commentary which involves me talking about things in the film like sound, costume, lighting, transitions,etc.
Moving on from this I shall now discuss how our film poster and magazine review complements some of the things mentioned in this commentary. I am first going to post a picture of our magazine poster and then I shall say how the poster advertises and compliments our short film. Here is our finished film poster.
The pictures in this post complement our film as it shows the actors which are going to be in our film but also I editing them to make the lighting look much brighter to match the type of high-key lighting which we used in our film. The actors can also help advertise our film as with many films people sometimes watch them because of the cast not the storyline.
The White font and text is also used as we have a lot of fades to white throughout the film so it is sticking to a general colour scheme. I chose the three different background colours as the background for the centre picture is the colour which the top and bottom background colours make when you mix them together.
I am now going to post a video which I created of me discussing the conventions of romance posters and how they represent romance films in particular through their images, fonts, colours, etc.
So as you can see from this video we ourselves have followed the general conventions. Here are the following conventions which I have included in our poster:-
- Our picture shows the two main characters (Faith & Olly) looking at one another. This is shown in every romance poster which I have seen as it shows the protagonist and the love interest together. This also complements our film as it shows everyone the two main characters in the film so it gives an insight into who's story they are going to be following
- The Title is big, bold and clear but matches the light colours which other posters have used as we have opted for white as it brightens up the poster and gives it a more 'happy' feel. Whereas black font duelled the poster. This could complement the film as everyone know the title of the film as it is the first thing you see and there is a lot of bright light and white fades in the film.
- The Steel Tongs font at the bottom is clear and includes all the conventions of the poster talking about different people involved in making the film, including the director which can be a strong influence in mainstream films as people may thing the film would be good if they have watched another film by the same director. This complements our film therefore through the names of the people working on this film.
- The tagline we chose gives a little insight into our film as it is 'second chance at love' and in the film she does end up meeting the love interest twice but in different ways but similar outcomes so in a way she has two chances to meet him.
You can see our own conventions in more detail on the Ancillary Product 2 Page
Here is our magazine review which we have created for our film. I am now going to do the same thing as i have done with the poster showing how the review works hand in hand with the film.
Now that I have embedded the magazine review I am also going to show the general conventions of a film poster in a slideshow which I created and then show these conventions being shown in mine.
- The photograph we have used in our review hints the events and outcomes which are going to occur in the film so these compliment one another as it shows that the two characters end up getting married but don't know how they meet so they know that it is going to be a happy outcome and a positive film.
- The title of the film is very clear in the article as it is the largest font and is in block capitals. This helps the audience to recognise and remember the title as it will be the very first thing which they read in the article.
- The drop box gives a bit of insight into what people already think about the film as its generally a quote from the passage or even a reviewers comment. Our drop box is a small comment about the shots and actors so this would help attract audiences to the film as they will watch it with this quote/review in mind.
- The 'Closer Look' box on top of the picture gives a small insight into the construction and behind the scenes parts of the film. These are just small things for people to mention while watching the film and could be slightly interesting.
- The written article talks all about the film including things like camera work, actors, plot, overall thoughts, etc. This would promote the movie as long as it is a good review about the film this would help advertise a film a lot as people who wouldn't think to watch the film may decide to watch it just because they read something good about it in a magazine.
You can see more information on the page all about Ancillary Task 1 page.
I am now going to be discussing evaluation question 3 which is all about audience feedback including how we approached it, how successful it was and whether we took it on board.

