10/03/2014

Re-shoots and Re-edits

In this post I am going to say what processes we have gone through to improve the rough cut and turn it into the final cut. 

When making changes we didn't do any re-shooting as one thing which was said multiple times in our feedback was that the film was very well shot so we felt there was no need to change any shots. 

The major changes which we have done is in the editing as we have done the following : - 
  1. Change the sequence of the footage to improve the meaning to the audience
  2. Add a bit of a voice over narrative
  3. Change the length of the shots
  4. Edit the photographs at the end.
  5. Edit the soundtrack to fit the new sequence
The sequence of the film would be the biggest change because rather than the film going in and out of one sequence to another I changed it so it went through the one sequence but before showing the ending of the first sequence we rewound it back to her getting her hair ready, then the whole of the second sequence including her meeting the love interest then the voice over will be reminiscent of the first sequence and then the outcome to the first sequence will be shown giving it its happy ending resolving its equilibrium. The film now makes much more sense with the sequence change alone. Here is a picture i have made to show the new sequence by saying which is the first sequence/timeline and which is the second.
The voice over which we added was done in one evening, I drafted some lines before hand and go our actor to read them out in a particular way and she did this with ease and we managed to do it without any problems arising.

I changed some of the length of the shots including the ident at the start as it seemed too long and also the shot of the protagonist walking up-to the train station. 

The photographs at the end were edited using photoshop to give them frames. I did this by drawing a box around the photo, inverting the selection and erasing the inverse to give it a frame. This was successful as it gives the photographs an authentic look.

With the new sequence of shots I will need to change the soundtrack. I have altered the existing sound by rearranging ti to fit, shortening the sounds which were originally too long like the one mentioned in the rough cut (Duvet rustling for too long) and even took some of the sound out as it seemed to unrealistic.